Monday, March 12, 2012

Up in the Capitol Dome!

I (Kelsie) was recently privileged to be able to go on a tour of the inside of the dome in the Capitol building. It is a pretty rare opportunity so I was pretty stoked! Want to see what it looked like? Okay cool! We'll start at the top! Keep a-scrollin'!

This is Susanna, Bryan, and I on the very top balcony area! As you can see, it was very windy! It was an amazing view! I spent most of the time clinging to the inner wall though because it is VERY high up there.

This is right up by George Washington's Apotheosis. It is so beautiful close up! Again, I was too afraid to look over the balcony. I like to, you know, stay alive. Falling over the edge is a real possibility. 

Apotheosis of George Washington. See how he is surrounded by 13 angles? 13 colonies. George Washington was supposed to be buried under the rotunda. I'm chuck full of facts about the Capitol.

Sus and I. 



If you look really close at the top of this window pane you can see some etching on the glass. This is where some Civil War Soldiers carved their names in the glass on the way up! It is easier to see in person.

Beams in between the outer and inner dome. Did you know there were 2 layers of dome? Now ya do.

This shows the different levels we went out on balconies on (each designated with an arrow).

Lots and lots o' stairs.
There it is! It was really cool. If you ever come to DC, call your Congressman and see if he will take you on up!

No comments:

Post a Comment