Wednesday, January 11, 2012

2 Weeks In DC

January 11, 2012

We've already been in DC for 2 weeks now! We've been slacking on the blogging, though so I figured I'd better update our blog today.  Kelsie has been in her internship for a full week now and is loving it. For the first week of being in Alexandria we went into the District a couple of times to find the building where Kelsie is working for the next 4 months and to look for jobs for me. At first we were just going to take buses to DC because it cost a lot less ($60 a month compared to $200 a month) but then we found out Kelsie is going to receive compensation for metro riding from work, so she's decided to take the subway (metrorail) to work. It's saved her at least 2 hours a day on travel time! 

I've been continually busy looking for a job. I've gone to DC, and lately just walked around Alexandria areas or sat on my laptop. Crazy enough, most companies have all their hiring done online! It's sad, but I'm more effective sitting at home looking for jobs online than I am walking around. Nothing serious yet, but I have found a few jobs online at companies websites in which I've applied for.  I'm just counting on at least 2 weeks before I hear anything.

We went to church for the first time the past Sunday the 8th. On the 1st of January the buses weren't running so we had no way of getting to church. The bus ride is about 45 min to an hour depending on how many people stop the bus getting on or off. The ward we're going to isn't the ward we're supposed to be in, but the building is much closer than the 2+ hour trip to the building we should be going to. The ward we are going to is the Shirlington Ward and the building is on the famous King Street. The ward was very friendly and inviting. We met the bishop, the relief society president and a few members who were kind enough to just walk up and say hi. We're excited to be in the Shirlington Ward for the next 4 months.

We just found out today that we have the opportunity to go to South Carolina this weekend to campaign with Mitt Romney. Kelsie called me around 10:00 a.m. and gave me the news. I told her that of course we should go! This is another one of those once in a lifetime opportunities we need to take advantage of. I don't know all the details yet, but we'll let you know as soon as we can!

During the time that I went up to DC I was able to walk around the streets and see the capitol building, the Archives of the United States Building, the Library of Congress, and many of the congress buildings. Together, we went to DC this past weekend and walked a few museums including the Smithsonian Museum of American History. We also went right up to the Washington Monument; unfortunately as you may have heard it's closed due to the flaws in the construction. They don't know when or if it will re-open. We also walked by the White House! It was interesting to see this beautiful, extravagant building amongst skyscrapers and busy streets. When I saw the White House in pictures, I would have assumed it was atop a hill or somewhat secluded and had nice landscaping nearby. But, alas this isn't the case. The lawn of the White House extends to the fence and from that point there are busy streets and buildings surrounding it. Nonetheless, it was a really neat experience to see these historic sites.

So far we've really been enjoying our adventure. Kelsie has gotten homesick a few times, but for the most part is doing great; she really loves it. We wish you all well and hope everything is going just as great for you!

Cheers!

-Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment